More than a hundred years ago — in 1813 — by the initiative of the priest Antanas Masaitis, Leliūnai church was equipped with a 21-register organ, made by the famous organ master Bruno Goebel in Koenigsberg. In the early 20th c. this organ was one of the first pneumatic organs in Lithuania. In her book Vargonų muzika Lietuvoje XX a. (Organ Music in the 20th c. Lithuania), the musicologist and organ player Jūratė Landsbergytė wrote: “The most noteworthy examples in the first half of the 20th c. include the organs made by the organ master Bruno Goebel in Koenigsberg, mostly known and used in the Lithuanian temporary capital — Kaunas: one at the Church of the Jesuit Fathers and two at the conservatory. The organs of Bruno Goebel were known for their high quality and these were also among the first pneumatic organs in Lithuania. The examples of these organs still used in Leliūnai and Salakas are regarded as probably the best of the old instruments in Lithuania.”
Leliūnai St Joseph’s Church in Utena district hosts Evenings of Spiritual Relief, sacral music concerts from the cycle The Sound of Historical Organs, as well as concerts of Aukštaitija Organ Festival. The church hosts concerts of the best Lithuanian and foreign organ players and soloists. One of the major organisers of these concerts is Alfredas Puško, the parson of Leliūnai church. The organ concerts at the church attract not only members of the local community, but also guests from Utena and other places. According to the parson Alfredas, “what is important, is that these evenings feature not only music, but also words that touch the listeners, giving thoughts for reflection in their daily lives.”
The audiences thank the musicians for the amazing and soul-refreshing concerts with thunderous applause.